Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Going to Movies

Before hearing with my CI (Cochlear Implant), I went to movies (on a rare occasion) and basically watched the pictures in order to piece together what was going on. Background music, the sound of a character's voice, the tone in which one speaks, etc., are all missing elements for those who are deaf. Cartoons are even more challenging (and documentaries), because there are no lips to read, ha!

With a CI, it's exciting to go to the theaters and watch, well, anything!...but, to know I'm going to see a cartoon and HEAR, is amazing and a miracle. As a result, I've probably watched more movies in the last 5 months than I have in my lifetime. I don't know if that's a legitimate stat; but, it feels like it is.

When I received the components that go along with my implant, they included a connection that was supposed to help me even more at places like theaters, museums with sound guides, etc.; but, I remember I didn't really pay attention because I didn't think I'd ever need to use it. To me, just hearing normally with my devices was more than I could ask for...how could an attachment be even better? Besides, it was more to learn, and I wasn't willing to go that far. But, just the other day, for the first time in 3 years, I got it out, and began to wonder how to connect it to my device, and what difference would it provide.

I still don't know; but, I have a hunch I'm going to venture into finding out real soon. I suppose I'm ready to take new steps.